One of the most important things an EDP form does is confirm that data is insurable property. EDP policies add coverages such as mechanical breakdown, brownout, and data reconstruction to your client's property coverages.
Neither a property policy nor an EDP policy or endorsement are likely to cover:
- Corruption of data due to a hacker
- Introduction of a virus that disables your client's system
- Overloading of your client's bandwidth or email such that it can no longer function
- Employee tampering or human error
- Cyber-attack on your client's business partners that affects your client's operations
(Again, we are focused here only on first party exposures, so the damages that can be done to third parties and the resultant liability are topics for another day.)